Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Well, I am now sitting here in Oberaudorf, in southern Germany. I have recently accepted a contract with the Frankfurt School of Finance & Management. I will be working for their microfinance spin-off, the European Fund for Southeast Europe, or EFSE. This is where I did my internship last summer, so it is not anything so new, and it will be nice to already know some people when I start.

This is an article from the Financial Times about EFSE: http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/9114deb4-33e1-11dd-869b-0000779fd2ac.html

...and in German:
http://www.ftd.de/karriere_management/karriere/:Neu%20Handelsroute/370597.html


Above is a picture of where I will be working.




However, despite all this progress, I still need to get a work visa. And due to the way the system works, it could be as late as mid-August before I start. So now I have a bit of a vacation time, which has been great. I can spend some time with Carola while she is working hard on her final exams. It looks like she will be done on the 4th of July. So if you see some fireworks on that day it is most likely us celebrating the fact that Carola and I are both done with school now.


As for Oberaudorf, it is a small village tucked here in the shadows of the Bavarian Alps. It is really nice to be out of Denver and in a small town where the pace is a little less hectic and everyone knows everyone else. Everything is really safe here and everyone looks after one another. It is really nice. To the left is a photo I took of the house where I am living. It is Carola's aunt's house. Her Aunt Renate is currently living for a year in Scotland with her family, so Carola is house-sitting while she is studying for her exams. The house is situated quite nicely next to a big hay-meadow. In the photo you can see the wood stacked under the carport in front of the house. It seems to be much more common for people to heat their houses with wood here. The main Catholic church for the village is just off to the left. The priest of this church is the one who led Carola's trip to Israel last year.



No comments: