Sunday, November 16, 2008

Well, now comes the latest installment of my blog. Things have been getting colder here in Frankfurt, and I hear that November is gray and overcast. So far they are right. The weather has been pretty depressing. This country is fully excited about solar energy – the problem is that it happens to be one of the cloudiest nations on earth. One still gets points for trying, however. The good news is that the weather is temperate and it rarely snows here. This means that it is nicer for Carola and I to ride our bikes around town. We ride everywhere – rarely taking the subway. The subway is rather expensive, 2.50 ($3.14) for a one way journey. It makes you think twice about where you go on the subway. Besides, we can get most places faster with our bikes anyway. I know gas prices have come down, but it is still nice not to have to fill up a tank all the time. Gas prices will probably go up again in the next few years once demand in Asia picks up again.

Wedding preparations are underway, and there are a lot of things to organize. I had to go to the US Consulate a few weeks ago and get an affidavit that said I have never been married before. I will now have to do the same thing for the German authorities. I also need to remember to get my birth certificate when I am in the US for Thanksgiving. The photo on the left is near where the reception will be held.

We will be in Colorado for Thanksgiving!!! Our plane leaves Frankfurt on Friday and after a layover in Chicago we will arrive in Colorado Springs!! I am looking forward to seeing family and friends, and also just feeling the intense sun press on my face the way does in Colorado. We are still debating whether or not to go skiing on Monday or not. If we do then I will let all my loyal blog fan(s) know about it.

Last weekend Carola and I were visited by Carola’s Aunt Renate and Carola’s Goddaughter, Ruth. We went to the Frankfurt zoo. Carola and I had already been there, but this time we got to see new areas that we hadn’t been to before. We saw penguins, alligators and a whole range of nocturnal animals. It was very relaxing and very nice. Later, Renate went to see a play that was being performed at the church where Carola works. While they were doing that Ruth and I went and saw a 3D movie about whales and dolphins. It was cool to see a movie in 3D, but the way the film was produced was not so entertaining. In any event, we had a good time and it was a good weekend.



This weekend we had a visit from Jakob. Jakob’s mother tore her Achilles tendon, and so Jakob was on his way back from visiting her, offering his love and support, and relieving her of the stress of operating her new car (which means he took it). So after Jakob found a parking space, we went to Leonie’s birthday party. Leonie is a friend of Carola’s who also happens to live quite close to us here in Frankfurt. Carola made a (delicious) cake and we had a great time last night. This morning Jakob left, and now it is time to do chores and update my blog.


When I was coming back from a multi-day workshop for my work, I stopped in this small little town down the river from Frankfurt. It was amazingly pretty and for once the sun was actually shining. Luckily I had my camera and was able to take some nice photos. One house had an American flag hanging out of it. I was surprised. Never outside the US have I ever seen a US flag hanging outside someone's private residence (I don't count the Ambassador's house). judging by the timing, my conclusion is that it is most likely that this person was quite happy about the election of Obama. To be honest the whole of Germany is quite excited to see a president Obama. People I barely know have come up to me and shook my hand in congratulations. If you know anything about Germans, you know that this doesn't happen everyday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice hearing from you over there! It has been a long time we talked, give me a ring some time! CU