Sunday, January 18, 2009


HESSEN VOTES!!

In the state of Hessen in Germany, there was a vote today. Democracy in action. Yesterday the major political parties were handing out coloured plastic chips that are exactly the same size as a 1 EUR coin. I thought maybe this was voter fraud in action, but these chips are merely used to release shopping carts from their holders at the grocery store. Democracy is safe for now. But I will keep an eye on things.

As part of my supervisory proceedures, I accompanied Carola to vote this morning. We found the polling place. I was afraid that we would have to wait in line. No. The Germans are too organised for that. So, the two available voting booths were both empty. But there were about 8 people keeping an eye on these two booths. Acutally it was 8 eyes per booth. They asked me if I wanted to vote. I declined.




1 comment:

Brandi said...

I loves it. Actually, voter turn out was pretty low, so I don't know if it was the German über-organizing of things that helped prevent long lines. But were definitely not in the U.S.!